Last weekend my family sat down for some good ‘ol fashioned wholesome entertainment, we watched “The Muppets”. “The Muppets” was released in 2011 and was the first Muppet release in 12 years. As a huge fan of the Muppets and growing up waiting weekly for the “The Muppet Show” I loved this film! Not only did it bring back a lot of warm memories, but the humor and music was updated very successfully by Bret McKenzie with his very distinctive “Flight of the Conchords” sound. (My husband recognized his style immediately!) Mr. McKenzie won an academy award for his song “Man or Muppet”, which is a first for any Muppet film.
The story, written by and starring Jason Segal, centers around reuniting the gang for a telethon in order to save the old Muppet Theatre from oil tycoon Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) who wants to tear it down to drill for oil underneath. The most engaging part of the story for me however, is the idea that no matter how different things are today, Jim Henson’s wonderful creations still have a place in our hearts and COULD still have a very relevant place in the modern entertainment industry. This got me thinking. Wouldn’t it be great if Disney ACTUALLY DID bring back the Muppet Show in weekly installment? What would it look like? I actually started compiling a list of modern celebrities who would be engaging guests in a modern version of the classic. These are my 10 top favorites.
10. Mary Murphy (Telling Sam the Eagle that he’s a “Hot Tomale”?
9. Lady Gaga (Singing with Wayne and Wanda?)
8. Bret and Jermaine (Flight of the Conchords) (Jamming with Dr. Teeth )
7. Jane Lynch (insulting Miss Piggy?)
6. Julia Louis Dreyfus(Doing an “Elaine” dance in the ballroom?)
5. Jerry Seinfeld (Heckled by Waldorf and Statler?)
4. Neil Patrick Harris (Giving Kermit a run for his money as host?)
3. Simon Cowell (Heckling from the Balcony?)
2. Steve Tyler
(…..do I really NEED to say more?)
Come on Disney! You’d have celebrities lining up outside Muppet Theatre doors waiting to get their turn! In a disenchanted, cynical world like we have today, maybe we NEED more Muppets!
… And I bet there isn’t a Browncoat alive who wouldn’t LOVE to see:
1. Nathan Fillion as “Captain Tight Pants” in “Pigs in Space”!
Now I am curious…. Any more celebrity suggestions out there?
- Is It a Muppet Character or a New Fragrance? (bellasugar.com)
- 11 Muppets Who Made 11 or Fewer Muppet Show Appearances (mentalfloss.com)
- This Was Television On September 5 (thiswastv.com)
- Film: Newswire: R.I.P. Jerry Nelson (avclub.com)
- Original Muppeteer Jerry Nelson Has Died (slashfilm.com)
- Kermit (insidehighered.com)
- Jerry Nelson-Now He Is Counting The Steps As He Arrives In Heaven (thelmac.wordpress.com)
- Muppeteer Jerry Nelson (Voice of The Count) Passes (tor.com)
- Jerry Nelson Dead: Muppet Performer Dies At 78 (news.moviefone.com)
- Top Ten Jerry Nelson Muppet Characters (media.gunaxin.com)